Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Morgan Douglas - Angie's Leg...

This past Sunday was the 84th Annual Academy Awards, a place for the movie industry to come together and celebrate themselves and their accomplishments for three hours.  If you're anything like me, Oscars fashion is the real show.  My TV was tuned into E!'s Red Carpet coverage that entire afternoon.  The Oscars are notorious for handsome men in tailored tuxes and beautiful women in gorgeous couture gowns.  This year, one person, or at least that person's limb, stole the show.
Angelina Jolie wowed in this revealing gown.  Buzz circled the gown's sultry slit, so much so that Angie's leg now has it's own Twitter.  The feed is basically a commentary on the attention-getting aspect of Jolie's ensemble, which I think can be transcended to the entire spotlight-seeking aspect of events such as these.

I think this just goes to show how something so frivolously insignificant can take on a life of it's own and develop some sort of deeper meaning.

4 comments:

  1. I have been hearing a lot about this on Twitter, but I wasn't sure where it came from. I think it is so interesting how some aspect of someone's body can take on its own personality. I have seen other twitters for random body parts on celebrities and I am always intrigued by how people can create a voice for something that does normally have one.
    -Kathryn Aydelotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also been following this internet fad, and I think it is interesting how someone's leg (albeit from a famous celebrity with a nice body) can take precedent over the more pressing issues in society. The fact that Angelina's leg can gain more buzz than the upcoming Presidential election (even if it's just for a few hours) says a lot about our culture. However, Angelina purposely stuck her leg out and held it there for a few seconds, which says a lot about her intentions as well.
    -Jordan Bustin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't watch the Oscars this year, but I definitely heard about Angie's leg. You're right, it is "frivolously insignificant," but I think that's the whole point of a meme--it doesn't really matter but we all give it a lot of importance anyway so that we are all part of this inside joke. And who doesn't want to feel connected to the Hollywood queen that is Angelina Jolie, even if it is only for a few hours through a Twitter feed? Anyway, I think it'll be interesting to see what she does to top this at next year's Oscars! Or what Brad's reaction will be.
    --Katy Schaffer

    ReplyDelete